Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Reading about parent hood

Sometimes people ask me what its like being a dad. You'd think it would be an easy question to answer. Happy, frustrated, annoyed, delighted, amazed. How many other moods can you think of? Add them to the list, and then add a few more that you don't know exist yet as well as a few you make up yourself.

More often than not I end up thinking to myself that it is one of those questions that truly has no answer. I can tell you all about it, you can read every book under the sun about it. But, until you actually enter the brotherhood of being a parent you can not understand even the slightest thing that I or a book is talking about.

Should I try to explain?

Think back to when you're about 9 years old. It's Christmas eve. No, that's an over used analogy, and not very accurate at that.

Lets try this. Remember the day before the first day of school? It doesn't matter if you were looking forward to it or not. Now remember a few days in between? Especially early on where you're amazed by pretty much everything that you learn. It's kind of like that, except on a much higher order.

No comments:

Post a Comment